· 2, 16 oz. Cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed (select low sodium version and those without EDTA if possible)
· 1, 16 oz. Can Crushed or Diced Tomatoes or 2 Cups Fresh Tomatoes, Diced
· 1 Cup Salsa
· 1 Bell Pepper, Diced
· 1 Onion, Diced
· 2 Cups Spinach or other Leafy Green, Chopped
· 3 Tbsp. Cumin
· 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
· 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
· 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil, or other plant oil
1. Heat a large pot on medium heat and add oil. Add onions and garlic and sauté the onions in for 1 min. Add 1 Tbsp. Cumin.
2. Add tomatoes and peppers and let simmer for 3-5 min.
3. Add black beans, salsa and remaining spices and let simmer for 3-5 min.
4. Turn off the burner and stir in spinach. Allow the spinach to wilt into the chili mixture.
5. Serve. Add a Tbsp. of sour cream and cilantro for garnish.
*This can be a meatless chili or you may add meat. To add meat, sauté 16 oz. ground meat in a skillet until fully cooked and add in with black beans and salsa.